With volleyball tryouts just around the corner (August 1st), here are few things that with help with the try-out process.
1) Please have an updated physical in hand at try-outs (or already turned in to the trainers). You can find the link here: Physical/ Medical History
2) Please have all the electronic paperwork filled out before the athlete’s try-out. If this paperwork is not filled out, then the athlete will NOT try out.
Click Electronic Paperwork
Please complete ALL of the “Consent” and “GCCISD Drug Screening” paperwork under Electronic Participation Forms
- If you are new to the school, or did not participate in athletics last year (middle school or High School), please contact Coach Mulryan at firstname.lastname@example.org for an added form.
3) Check-in on Monday will begin at 8:30. Please have everything that is asked for. This will help us check-in over 60+ girls. No physical= No Try-out!!
- A quote to live by: Earlier is on time, on time is late, and being late is inexcusable. If the schedule says “2:00- Practice” then 1:30 is on time, 2:00 is late, and 2:05 is inexcusable.
- Being late and/ or missing a session may hurt your chances of making a team.
5) Tryout on Monday
First session will begin at 9:00 am sharp and go till 11:00 am. Our second session will begin at 1:00 pm and go till 4:00 pm.
- First Session: Outside endurance and Inside agilities/conditioning
- Second Session: Volleyball Skills and Drills
6) Appropriate attire:
- First Session-Wear athletic shorts (i.e. running shorts in a neutral color), a school or school colored t- shirts (black, red, white or grey) and RUNNING SHOES… No tank/razorback tops
- Second Session- If you have it, volleyball attire: volleyball shoes (or very good athletic shoes), knee pads, spandex (athletic shorts), a school or school colored t-shirt. Safety ankle braces are highly recommended, but not required.
- These sessions are not the time nor place to express your love of neon, animal print, or revealing apparel.
- YOU WILL NOT TRY-OUT IF YOU ARE NOT DRESSED APPROPRIATELY!!!!
Please bring plenty of water/ sports drink.
7) After Monday’s tryout, the coaching staff will begin the first round of cuts by making phone calls around 4:30. If a student athlete receives a phone call, then they have made it to Tuesday’s try-out. If a student- athlete does not receive a phone call, then they did not make a team. This is to make the cuts a more private matter, rather than a public and social announcement.(So please provide a working number). The student-athlete will also be told which session she needs to attend for Tuesday.
8) Tryout on Tuesday
Varsity and JV hopefuls will go from 8-10 and 1-4. The 9th grade hopefuls will go from 10:30-12:30 and 2:30- 4:30. We will be inside the gym for both sessions, but bring your running/outdoor shoes just in case. Appropriate attire still applies for Tuesday.
- After Tuesday’s tryout, the coaching staff will begin the second round of cuts by making phone calls around 5:00. Same system applies from Monday. If an athlete receives a call then they made the team. If an athlete does not receive a call, then they did not make the team.
With two rounds of cuts, it allows the coaching staff to get a better picture of the athlete. We can see more than just volleyball skills, like athleticism, potential, manners, volleyball IQ, personality etc.
Team Practice Two a Days will begin Wednesday, August 3rd.
Contact head coach, Casey Mulryan- Veen if you have any questions/ concerns – email@example.com
We suggest you attend our open gyms, strength & conditioning trainings and camp (if applicable) during summer to prepare for try-outs.